Cloud computing is becoming extremely popular. As a web development company, we wholeheartedly support cloud based hosting and software applications. One of the problems we have noted however, is that many people don’t quite understand how to manage the various products and services that fall under this umbrella. So let’s start there.
What are cloud services?
Cloud services can include your website hosting, the registration of your domain name, your website itself, your email services, online backup solutions, and more. Many businesses aren’t sure whether to have all of their cloud services managed by one provider or spread across different providers.
There are good reasons that support both sides of the argument, but overall the best strategy is to have just one cloud provider, for the following reasons:
- One single point of contact: If you engage just one provider, you can get in touch quickly and easily, and if they’re local you even drop into their office for a chat.
- Troubleshooting: Only having one provider means that you know the source of any problems. With multiple service providers, you can spend far too much time trying to track down the culprit and convincing them that it really is their problem. The buck stops there.
- A consistent service: As a leading web development company, we know that services or applications hosted by different providers can clash and cause problems that are difficult to identify and to fix. Having only one service provider can minimise or even prevent these problems.
- One setup process: When you only deal with one cloud based provider, you only need to go through the signup and setup processes once.
- Cost effective: Bundling all of your cloud based services with one provider can save you a substantial amount of money every year.
What about the risks of having all of your eggs in one basket? Well, if you keep all of your login details safe and deal with a reputable company who has been around for many years, you will always be able to recover your data if the worst happens.
To find out more about cloud based services talk to your web development company, call us on (07) 3333 2932, or get an instant quote online.