Just because you have a well-designed website, with all the bells and whistles, does not mean that you will automatically receive thousands of visitors and your conversions will skyrocket. Build it and they will come, does not apply on the Internet.
So what simple techniques can you do today that will help to increase traffic and boost conversions on your website? Well, there are five common mistakes that we see in some form or another on low-quality websites.
Rectifying or even avoiding these mistakes is a very simple but highly effective strategy to help boost your conversions:
- Too much clutter on your web pages: Don’t fill your web pages with flashing banners and ads. They distract the visitor from the purpose of your site which is to advertise and market your business. If you want conversions, don’t clutter up your web pages with useless information.
- No calls-to-action: If you do not have clear calls-to-action, how do you expect visitors to subscribe to your newsletter, download your free PDF, complete your contact form or make a purchase? Tell them exactly what you want them to do, in as few words as possible. “View the catalogue” is a lot more effective than “Download our free catalogue for more information”.
- Not maximizing the real estate on your web pages: The best real estate on your webpage is the top right corner, so that’s where you want your most important call-to-action, such as your phone number. Place it exactly where most people’s eyes travel – this placement has been shown to be the best spot for a good return on your investment.
- No contact details: Make sure to have your contact details prominently placed in your heading or sidebar, so visitors don’t have to search for your phone number or physical address. Yes, you might have a contact page, but placing these details in plain sight is user-friendly and gives visitors a good first impression of your business.
- Not utilising the ‘About Us’ page: If a visitor reads your ‘About Us’ page, it usually means that they are engaged in your website and are interested in your business. So add some personal information about yourself, your staff and your business on this page, along with a few staff photos to increase engagement.
If you can avoid these five mistakes, you should see a steady increase in traffic and conversions on your website.