Writing copy for your website which actually converts visitors into customers is a skill that can be learned, but can also be quite time consuming and to be frank, it’s pretty boring if it is not your ‘thing’. If you are faced with a blank page on your website, here are 12 key tips for writing high quality copy:
- Summarise your products or services in one sentence with 12 words or less.
- Make sure that the description of your products or services stands out and can’t be missed.
- Explain who your products or services are suitable for and give examples.
- Keep your copy simple, short and uncomplicated.
- Explain three or four unique selling points and say them loud and proud.
- Ask for a second opinion on your copy, maybe a friend, colleague or current customer.
- Say whatever is relevant to make your customers want to buy your services or products.
- Include any awards, testimonials, reviews or news about your business.
- Show qualifications and industry credentials.
- Make sure your logos are shown prominently on every page.
- Include customer testimonials and reviews of work or projects you have completed for them.
- If any of your clients are also businesses, find out if you can include their logos on your website.
Don’t forget to include details wherever possible, for example if you are selling products for children, describe the suitable age groups for your products. If you’re selling timber furniture, describe the types of timber you use and where you source it from. Another example is if you are trying to write your opening hours, instead of “open some Sundays”, make it clear that you’re “open first Sunday of every month” or ask your customers to “call to arrange an appointment on Sunday”.
Lastly, review your website for misspellings, repeated words and incorrect grammar. At worst, they can leave potential customers wondering whether you pay attention to more important business details.
For help with putting content together for your website, or general copywriting needs, get a free instant email quote.