We all know that writing content for our websites can be difficult and time consuming. Some of us don’t like writing and others just don’t have the time. It is important however, that your website has sufficient, well written content, so that your visitors can make an informative decision. Do they buy, ring you, drop into your store or move on?
It is your content that helps visitors make these final buying decisions. The problem is that most of us write content for our WordPress sites and then forget about it. This is a missed opportunity, because if you go back and audit your existing content, you can easily find lots of ways to add additional content to your website.
When you review your existing content keep the following in mind:
- Is the information on this particular page still relevant?
- Is it outdated and needs to be revised?
- Have there been any new product launches recently?
- Have there been any interesting industry promotions or news items lately?
- Are your customers asking for information that doesn’t exist on your WordPress site?
You can use customer queries to highlight gaps in your site’s content or information that could explained more simply, adding new content to your site and increasing your engagement with your customers.
Tips on auditing your WordPress site’s content
When you examine each page or post make sure that the tone of the writing is the same, so it doesn’t look as if completely different people authored different sections. Also, make sure that your brand’s messages are consistent throughout your WordPress site and that all of the pages are well written, free from errors and informative.
Don’t forget to check the following on each page or post as well:
- Meta descriptions, Title tags and keywords.
- Headings and sub-headings.
- Internal and external links.
- Level of engagement.
- Social media sharing buttons.
- Multi-media, such as images, infographics, webinars and videos.
You can also gain additional information from Google Analytics, for example how long customers stay on your website, how many pages they visit and the most visited pages. All of this data will help you optimise your WordPress website for both the search engines and for your customers.
For professional WordPress website design or help with ranking your website in Google, call GO Creative on (07) 3333 2932 or request a free quote online.