If you’re like most people, you built your website and now you just update it every now and again. The problem is that an old website that is not user friendly and looks out dated is not very conducive to sales and conversions.
Short of redesigning a brand new website, what can you do? Well, here are 10 house cleaning tips that will help bring the shine back to your old website.
- Cut the clutter: Remove anything that distracts your customers. Delete the music that plays on opening and remove those annoying splash pages that ask users to subscribe before they have even entered your site.
- Update your branding: Make sure that your website matches your current company branding – customers like consistency and it makes your site look up-to-date.
- Revamp your menus: Make sure that everything important is easy to find and up-to-date. If customers have difficulty locating information or products, your bounce rate will explode.
- Call-to-actions: Some people are hesitant about including some form of call to action on every page, but if you falter on this, you are leaving money on the table.
- Contact details: Many people only want your contact details, so place your phone number and contact details on the front page in a prominent position, such as in the sidebar or header.
- About Us page: This is one of the most under-utilised pages on a website. Make sure you have an About Us page, add useful information only, and add a call to action.
- Business hours: This information is all some people are looking for, so pop these on your home page in the header or sidebar, right next to your contact details.
- Add images: People are very visual so instead of having endless pages of text, add some interesting images to your content and advertise your business in colour. Images of people are proven to be more engaging than all others.
- GPS Map widgets: Adding a Google map widget with clear directions to your physical premises shows customers that you are thinking of their needs.
- Social media buttons: This is no time to ignore social networking, so make it easy for customers to share your content with prominent social share buttons.