For many people, using their smart phone or tablet to access the internet has become a way of life, and nearly 80% of people shop online using their mobile devices. This means that as a business owner you not only need an online presence, but you need to understand mobile marketing.
Here are 9 tips that should help you gain a foothold in this very lucrative market:
- Optimise your website for mobile devices: You either need a separate mobile website or a responsive design. Either way, you have to present your website to shoppers in a way that can be easily displayed on a variety of different screen sizes on mobile devices.
- Optimise your emails for mobile devices: There is a skill to crafting and marketing emails and this is even more important if you want people to open and read your emails on a mobile device. Items to consider include the size of the title and any banners or pop-ups that can difficult to click.
- Use social media: A massive number of people access their social media networks using their mobile devices. So take advantage of this source of traffic and initiate a social media campaign for your business.
- Use paid advertisements: Some people shy away from paying for advertisements online, but ads on Facebook and Twitter for example, can be very effective in pushing traffic to your website.
- QR codes: These are designed specifically for mobile devices and you might be happily surprised at how many people scan these codes into their phones, which take them directly to a merchant’s website.
- Simple call-to-actions: Smart phones have small screens and it can be difficult to click on call-to-action buttons, because the resolution is so small and people’s fingers are so large. So have text that is clear and easy to read, as well as optimised images and big buttons that are easy to click.
- Coupons: A great way to effectively market your business using mobile devices, in particular smart phones is to have a customer loyalty program that offers coupons and discounts that can only be redeemed via their mobile phone.
- Clickable phone numbers: When a visitor has used their mobile device to access your website, instead of forcing them to find a pen and a notepad on which to write your phone number, give them a clickable phone number.
- SMS campaigns: These are short messages sent as text to customer’s mobile phones and are a great way to increase lead generations at little cost.