Many of our clients are interested in creating a logo, but are just not sure what a logo actually is and how to find the best design for their business. There are no shortcuts to designing a business logo, and each graphic designer will have their own process.
So let’s take a look at the process we use at GO Creative to design company logos, starting first with an explanation of logos.
What is a logo?
If a logo is designed well, it will instantly identify your business to your customers and the general public. A logo is usually a symbol or even a signature and its purpose is to identify your business, not to explain your business.
Think of the red kangaroo on Qantas planes or the black and white panda of the World Wildlife Fund. Both of these logos are instantly recognisable, uniquely identifying each company and their brand. In other words, your logo represents everything that your company stands for and how you want your company be known. That said, your logo doesn’t need to actually show all of your products and services within the design itself; it just needs to be unique and memorable. For example, Nike has the “swoosh”, which says nothing about sports apparel, but it’s instantly recognisable. That’s what matters.
Steps in designing a logo
In general, there are five steps in the process of designing a logo:
- Design brief: This is where we set the parameters for your logo, such as the target market, the message that you want to portray, your budget and a deadline for completion of your logo. We also talk about colours, fonts and designs.
- Market research: We research the market your business is in, check out your competition and generally get a feel for your industry and the type of logos that work well. We want your logo to be unique and stand out from your competitors.
- Sketching the logo: At this point we usually come up with a few ideas for your logo, creating rough sketches on paper. Then, as the design develops we move on to the computer and create digital drafts of your logo, continually making changes until we have achieved a good representation of your logo.
- Client feedback and review: We usually come up with a few different options, so it is at this point that together, we select the best logo for your company and also consider any changes to its size, colour or fonts. Following this review, we make any changes you require and finalise your logo.
- Deliver the logo: The final artwork is supplied to you in various formats, so it can be used on business cards and stationary, advertising print media, your website and other online publications and advertising. It’s literally scalable to any size without any loss of quality.
Logo design is an essential element in your marketing strategy and is a simple, but very effective way to identify and promote your brand.
For more information on logo design or website design in Brisbane, call GO Creative on (07) 3333 2932 or request a free quote online.