As a leading digital marketing agency in Brisbane, we know that the Internet can be a very confusing place, especially if you’re just getting started with marketing your business. That’s why it’s so important for business owners to understand website terminology. This knowledge can be relevant to the numerous decisions about marketing, planning, and design, that lead to the success of your business.
To help you navigate the jargon minefield, we’ve put together a few terms to help get you started.
- HTML (HyperText Markup Language): HTML is the name of the code used to create websites. It’s used to provide basic information about the structure and function of pages and content, including text, images, hyperlinks, form fields and buttons. Websites can’t function without it.
- Hyperlink (Link): Basically, anything you click on that takes you somewhere else is a hyperlink. A hyperlink can take you to another part of the page you’re already on, to another page on the same website, to a page on another website, or a popup window (and so on). A hyperlink can take the form of a text link, menu item, button, or image.
- Keyword (Key phrase, search term): A keyword is a word or phrase that an internet user may use to find related web pages on an internet search engine. For example, if you visit Google.com and search for “website companies Brisbane”, this entire phrase is called a “keyword”. It doesn’t matter how many words there are; it’s always referred to as a keyword.
- Search engine: This is a website used for finding information on the Internet. Google is by far the most popular search engine, but Yahoo and Bing are also popular.
- Search engine optimisation (SEO): Search Engine Optimisation is the process of improving a website’s chances of being found by users when they use search engines, such as Google.com.
- Domain or URL (website address): This is the address of your website, and the end of your email addresses. Every website has a unique domain/address (also sometimes referred to a URL). For example, our URL is https://go-creative.com.au.
- Hosting: This is where your website and related settings are stored. Web hosting companies offer storage space and various other resources, usually for a fixed monthly or annual fee.
If you need a hand with anything or have anything to add to our list, phone GO Creative, the leading digital marketing agency in Brisbane on (07) 3333 2932 or request a free instant email quote.