With the popularity of iPads and smartphones, the way people access the internet is rapidly changing. In Australia, research has shown that during June 2013, 7.5 million people accessed the internet using their smartphones – an increase of 33% on the same period the previous year.
At GO Creative we are frequently asked whether a business should change to a responsive design. The answer depends on the current user-friendliness of your website and whether your traffic and conversions are in line with your marketing expectations.
What is a responsive design?
When people access your website, they expect to see the same design and features as they see on their PC. Responsive websites are designed to adapt to all screen resolutions and sizes, so a responsive page will display the same whether on a PC, IPad or smartphone. In comparison, mobile websites are device specific – they have to be built individually to display correctly on each device.
Why does my business need a responsive design?
- User experience is vital to your bottom line. If users become frustrated because they cannot view your website properly on their smartphone, research has indicated 61% will leave immediately; whilst 67% are more likely to buy from a website that was easy to navigate and gave them a positive experience.
- In 2013, 55% of all social media networking took place on smartphones or IPads. Sharing links is a fundamental part of social media and if users do not have a positive experience on your website, then they will quickly leave to a more friendly site.
- For SEO purposes, having multiple sites on the same URL is problematical. Google recommends the use of responsive designs, because it makes it easier for your site to be indexed.
- Responsive designs load faster than non-responsive designs. People become frustrated when web pages take too long to open and they leave to go to a more user-friendly site.
- Because responsive designs open correctly on any mobile devices, they will also adapt well to future changes in mobile devices.
- A responsive design provides the consumer with conformity across all mobile devices and a positive experience. Your website will be user-friendly which results in customer satisfaction, increased conversions and better brand recognition.
Accessing the internet using mobile devices is now a way of life for many people. Consumers are continually demanding the best in technology and business websites must keep on top of this demand. Businesses cannot afford to alienate consumers because their website is not keeping up with consumer demand and with technology.